Friday, October 8, 2010

The Binky

I have a love/hate relationship with Weston's binky.
It has saved us in so many situations that I don't know how I would have managed otherwise.
It has allowed me to sleep through the night since Weston was 6 weeks old.
It has also created a habit that I know would be a nightmare to break.
The habit needed to be broken while I still had patience within me and before his baby sister comes.
I clipped the tip off of his binky, he put it in his mouth then threw it across the room.
We then went cold turkey after we threw it away because it "broke".
We did not sleep for 2 days straight.
Naptime #1 didn't happen. Nighttime #1 happened at 11:30 pm while waking up every hour in screaming attacks that we couldn't stop without praying for patience.
Day 2 woke up with the worse cold ever. Miserable all day long begging for comfort. I wanted to give in so bad. I didn't.
Nighttime #2 took 3 1/2 hours with all of us finally going to bed at 12:45. Little did I know he was cutting more teeth.
Perfect time to take a binky away, wouldn't you say?
Day number 3. A miracle happens. He went down within 15 minutes at naptime and bedtime. Yes, I was by his side both times in his bed, but he cuddled next to me and I knew he found comfort from me and not the binky.
Putting him to sleep with me by his side is a habit we will worry about when I don't need sleep myself:).
Last night I cried out of pure happiness.
We are celebrating tonight on becoming a "big boy"!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. So glad it only took 3 days! If your little girl doesn't give up as easily here is an idea Lyric used. She took Gregory to Build-A-Bear and let him pick a stuffed animal. Then he got to put the binky inside. That way he still got to keep his binky in a way and had something to comfort him at night.

    ReplyDelete